Sunday, August 3, 2008

Woof Roof!

I got an email from a fellow animal lover on Thursday. It said that the Humane Society of Southwest Michigan was in dire need. As most non profits are finding, finances are tough right now in a tough economy. Every time the Humane Society gets on an even keel something comes up. This time it was something coming down… rain, right onto the dogs and cats. A new roof is going to cost $8,000, but it can no longer be put off.

Someone had the idea that if all the animal lovers in southwest Michigan could just give a dollar the money would be there. Emails starting flying and word of mouth took over. As I type this, just four days later, nearly $6,000 has been raised. I’m so proud of our corner of Michigan. What a testament that people can come together to meet a need. Thanks to all who have helped. If you want to help also, just head over to http://www.firstgiving.com/humanesocietysouthwesternmichigan.

**Edited to add that the goal was reached on Wednesday night! Quite an achievement for beginning the campaign on Thursday! Woo hoo! And today, Friday, it is almost $1,000 over!

By the way, our own Mulligan spent ten days at this Humane Society. After I found him (or he found me!) I needed to convince Mike that he should come and live with us. Obviously I was persuasive enough, and when Mulligan’s ten day waiting period was up there he was ours!

1 comment:

Valerie said...

That's awesome! I love to hear stories like that, especially given that we are HUGE animal lovers here!