Sunday, July 20, 2008

Joy, sorrow and long-time friends

I am fortunate to have friends that I have kept in touch with for many, many years. Friends that live far away, yet I know that they will be life-long friends and would be there if I needed them, as I would be for them. While we don’t see each other nearly as often as we would like, the bond is still there.

This weekend two opportunities arose for reunions. The first was a sad circumstance, with the death of my college roommate Amy’s father. He died this past week at the young age of 61. While I didn’t have the opportunity to know him, he sounded like a wonderful man.

Another college roommate of mine, Charlene, came to South Haven on Friday and stayed overnight with us. We both attended the funeral on Saturday, along with another roommate, Jane. While funerals are always sad, one of the blessings that can come from it is the opportunity to see those you haven’t seen in some time. I was afforded that blessing this weekend.

On a much happier note, today I got to see my friend Julie when we went to her wedding reception. I met Julie in 1994 when I began working at All-Phase Electric. She has lived in Hawaii for the past two years, and was married there this spring. Today I was able to catch up with her and meet her husband, George. How fun it was!

So through joy and sorrow this weekend the friendship bonds were strengthened. It is a reminder of just how important friendship is and how lucky I am.

~~~
Senior year at Michigan State... top to bottom is me, Charlene, Amy and Jane.

Julie and I... probably around 1997.

And Julie and George's reception today.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perfectly written Laura. About the picture though....to think that big hair looked good:)


Charlene

Crystal said...

I love those pics!
Kimber has the same little fishy onesie that Erin is wearing. Great minds....

Mamma Mia said...

I am sorry to hear about your friend's loss, but it's great that you got to see your old friends! And I love the picture of your friend holding Erin! What a little girl!

the mom~ said...

Awww...how specail. And Julie is a beautiful bride :)