Monday, May 9, 2011

Time to make the doughnuts...

Okay, I have never actually made doughnuts. Really, never. But the phrase still comes to mind when I think of something repetitive, or of work. So here is a post about my work. That is, beyond my stay-at-home-mom take care of the kids and house kind of work.

While I do some occasional freelance writing and photography, I really don't seek it out because I really don't have time. But sometimes it comes in, and I do it. :) I do, however, have two regular part time jobs.

The first is editing for a company called Bare International. They perform mystery shopping services for a number of well-known companies and organizations. A shopper is assigned a shop and given a set of guidelines to follow. Once they have performed the shop they enter the information into a pre-designed form on the Bare International intranet site. This is where I come in. As Editing Superhero I rid the report of nasty grammar and spelling! I seek out inconsistencies and halt non-direction-following shoppers in their tracks! I save the day by saving the report! Yeah... in other words, I edit the report to make sure they did it right and it reads well.


My other job is a merchandiser for American Greetings. Without me South Haven residents would be glum and tearful that they weren't receiving and giving greeting cards. We would, in essence, be without greeting! Seriously, I have three accounts I maintain in town -- Dollar Tree, Dollar General and WalMart. My hours vary by week depending on the season. For example, this week was busier because today I took down Mother's Day cards and put up Father's Day cards. I also added some more graduation stock. I also maintain the everyday cards and order more as needed.

The best thing about both of my jobs is their flexibility. They are excellent jobs for a stay-at-home-mom. The editing job is pretty much a daily job. They send me assignments, and I do them. But I can still do them when it works for me during that day. The American Greetings job is weekly. I am assigned calls on Sunday. This week I have five. I can basically perform them anytime during the week, but I have activities which have time frames that may affect my call schedule. For example, I have to have Mother's Day cards down by tomorrow.

Yawn. Excuse me now while I go finish editing so I can go to bed...

2 comments:

the mom~ said...

Those do sound like neat, flxible jobs. How long have you been at each?

Laura said...

Salena... I've been editing for about four years and I started with American Greetings last summer. :)