Sunday, May 24, 2009

Plant Swap

I was lucky enough to be invited to a plant swap by my friend Jessica. Her parents hold it every year at their house. The idea behind it is that you split up whatever you have an abundance of, show up with it, and leave with someone else's extras. It's a great way to keep your garden from overgrowing, and to expand it with new things at the same time.

Being new to gardening, I slunk in with nothing to share. It was okay though, because many people brought way more than they were leaving with. I was able to get some really cool things for the perennial garden plot I am working on. Kyle's favorite thing that I came home with was a sensitive plant, which closes up its leaves when you touch it. It has been planted in a spot where he can easily touch it all he wants. I also brought home a plant called Obedient. This is also for Kyle to look at, but so far it has had no effect, lol. Other things I brought home include Sun Drops, an Easter lily, some decorative grass, and a Rose of Sharon.

Here are some pictures from the swap, from Jessica's parent's gardens, and some close up shots of their flowers.

3 comments:

Colleen said...

That is such an awesome idea! What kind of plant was the one that closes up? I think my mom has planted something like that before...

Jessica said...

Boy... you did better than me. I never even took one photo! Before I thought about it and stopped talking most everyone was gone. I felt bad that I didn't get any photographs. Thanks for the post... I'll steer my Mom to it. Glad you enjoyed it!

the mom~ said...

Wow, how awesome is that? Very cool idea!