Thursday, June 26, 2008

Where's the manual?

Shouldn't there be a manual on how to raise children? Kyle is taking us on a pretty wild ride of the terrible twos, probably in combination of bringing a sibling home to rock his world. He simply does not listen. We simply have no control. So I am doing my best to find the next best thing to a manual. I have three books going right now on toddlers, parenting and discipline. If I combine the best aspects of all three I figure I *have* to wind up with an angel, right?

Erin will be six weeks old tomorrow. That means that six weeks ago tonight we had our last night of putting Kyle to bed and having him actually stay in bed. Since Erin has come home he thinks he is missing something. He comes back down the stairs 756 times each night, sometimes for up to two hours. He comes down two stairs and peeks at us. He makes a camp with his pillows on the upstairs landing. He drives us nuts!

After much discussion, today I bought one of those door knob safety features things that spins when a child tries to open the door, yet an adult can squeeze it in just the right place and open the door. Why this is a "safety" feature I don't know. I think it is a sanity feature in this house.



Here's where I sought a manual, again. Kyle and I were rocking and reading bedtime stories in his room. I kept questioning myself, "Do I tell him about the door?" I did; I didn't want him to be scared that it wouldn't open. I had him try it. I explained how this would help him be a good boy and stay in bed. I also gave him one of several Thomas series trains I have on hand for an occasion when a new train may make a difference.

Tonight Kyle got Salty. A red train that works on the docks. I told him Salty would keep him company since he would have to stay in his room.

So, it went fairly well. I did go in twice because Kyle was upset about the door. The second time I told him I would not be back in again until morning. All has been quiet for about an hour.

We may be on to something here. Whew. Now on to figuring out the next thing on the list.

5 comments:

Colleen said...

You are doing great! Megan has been sleeping with me since she got sick...6 months ago! yes, I'm bad. 2 nights ago, we started a sticker chart. When she goes to sleep at night in her bed, she gets a sticker, if she wakes up in the morning in her bed, she gets a sticker. She only has the night time stickers for now...but stickers work for her. We'll get there...eventually!

Valerie said...

I hear ya. I think its more terrible twos vs Erin's arrival. Atleast I'd like to think I didnt breed a super demon in Madelyn. ROFL

Crystal said...

Awwww. I am sorry...and I know how you feel. Kinnison has been possessed. LOL She was great today and tonight a totally different child. I think it is the terrible two's and also the new baby. When we first brought Kimber home she took it out on us. She is better now...but still a two year old. HUGS!

Anonymous said...

If you find the right manual, let me know! Big hugs!!!!

the mom~ said...

I remeber the days when we brought Abram home and Ethan did the same thing. Eventually he learned just like Kyle is. You're doing a wonderful job Laura, keep it up!