Sunday, April 6, 2008

The Sweet Innocence of the Very Young

Kyle got a new movie recently. It is a full-length movie based on a Nickelodeon show called Back at the Barnyard. He loves animals, and this entire movie is about a barnyard full of animals, so the movie has been a hit.

As we watched it together, the main character, a cow named Otis, lost his father. In a poignant scene, Otis held his father as he passed away. My heart began to pound a little and my mind raced thinking, "I didn't know an animal died. How can I let Kyle watch a movie with a dying animal? What will he think? What will I say?"

Now that I am out of the moment I know that at nearly two and a half Kyle has no concept of death, nor would he understand it if I tried to explain it. At most, the simplest of explanations would have sufficed.

No explanation was necessary, however. Kyle watched Otis cradle Ben, looked up at me from the crook of my arm, and said, "Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz."

A little while lie escaped my lips as I said, "Yes, Kyle. Ben is sleeping."

1 comment:

the mom~ said...

Yes, honey an eternal sleep, LOL.