Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Muse me – the new magic words

Kyle is very good about saying excuse me, or in his words, “Muse me,” when he toots. He needs a little reminder sometimes, but is generally actually pleased to say it. (Which worries me that, yes, he is like many boys, and is going to think tooting is the coolest thing ever.) In fact, I must say, “What do you say?” often enough after his toots that frequently, when I am actually looking for a “Please” or “Thank you,” Kyle will instead say, “Muse me!”

On his own, Kyle has picked up that you also say excuse me when you are in the way, or someone is in your way. I have been proud that he learned this context on his own, and often uses it appropriately.

What I find very amusing, however, is that Kyle also believes “Muse me!” to be magical words. Today we drove through the McDonald’s drive-thru to get lunch because we were on the road an hour away. As I pulled up to pay, there was a car in front of us. Kyle continued to shout, “Muse me!” from the back seat. Strangely, it did not make the car in our way budge until they were done paying themselves.

Later on, we pulled up behind a car at a red light. Once again, “Muse me! Muse me!” could be heard loudly from the backseat. Once again, the car did not heed Kyle’s request.

Kyle also tries out “Muse me!” when we are in lines, such as at the grocery store, and for rides during our recent trip to Legoland and California Adventure. Unlike Moses, the seas do not part and we do not get to go to the head of the line.

Someday Kyle will learn that there are situations where muse me just isn’t the magical phrase he hopes it will be, but for now I just smile at how cute he is trying to make it work.

2 comments:

the mom~ said...

too cute! Abram will say, "GO MOM!" When we are at a red light or in a drive thru, he just doesn't like to wait...LOL

Shannon said...

We Speech Therapists call that over-generalization, which is a child's way of over learning a "rule" or word. They will eventually use it correctly (which to me is sometimes sad) Anyway, I think that "muse me" is DARLING! Maybe I'll try it!