Friday, April 18, 2008

I feel the earth move, under my feet...

Poor Mulligan gets blamed for everything. When I awoke this morning to the bed shaking at just after 5:30am I immediately thought, "That dang dog snuck up on the bed again!" I looked, and no Mulligan. (And yes, our 70 pound dog does have a knack for being able to slink onto our bed without waking us.) I thought, "He must be scratching right up against the bed." I looked again, and he was laying still beside the bed, looking at me as if he was as baffled as I was.

The closet doors were rattling. I sat up wondering what was going on. Just as the bed stopped shaking Mike woke up and asked me what was wrong. I said, "What is going on??" The doors were still rattling, but the window was open so Mike said it was probably just wind. I told him the bed had been shaking, paused, and said, "You know, it may have been an earthquake."

I think Mike thought I had lost my mind. Nope, I was spot on. That was the earthquake that hit SE Illinois today, and we felt it clear up in Michigan.

Of course it's very reassuring that the nuclear plant in the next town over took a full 25 minutes to declare that there was "unusual activity." You can't see me, but I am rolling my eyes over that.

2 comments:

Valerie said...

I know it was crazy here too. I didnt feel a thing, but Rich and Lauren did. I didnt even know we had fault lines here.

the mom~ said...

LOL, we didn't feel a thing, BUT we are a few states over...