Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year and Hopes for 2009

Happy New Year!!!
May 2009 bring you many blessings and much good fortune!

We celebrated the New Year by renting Horton Hears a Who and picking up pizza from the new pizza joint in town. My how times have changed from our New Year's Eves of old! We pulled out the sleeper sofa and hunkered down with lots of pillows to make it even more fun.
The fun really began when Erin opted to stay awake until 4am, and Kyle was up just after 6am, but we won't go there. (rolling eyes here)

I'm not sure I will call these resolutions. Instead these are hopes I have for 2009...
  • Simplify. We don't have to fill our schedules so that I am stressed trying to get the kids ready and out the door. I don't need to agree to things that I know aren't really going to mesh well with our schedule. There are too many things that are nice to get done, or even fun to get done, but wind up being stressful with two little ones. So I'd like to cut back. This includes the stuff in our house. I'm hoping 2009 is a year for de-cluttering and hanging on to only what we need and actually use.
  • Be in the moment. This is primarily to benefit the kiddos. When I am focused entirely on them, and not trying to also get other things done, behavior is much better... resulting in a happier mom and happier kids. Since the housework, laundry, editing, and other things that I need to do will still have to get done, I need to make sure I am more focused when I do have the time to get those things done. So, make better use of nap times (although Kyle seems to be cutting these out -- which may send me over the edge!), and become better organized with to do lists and the like.
  • Be healthier. The gym is hit or miss, so I need to set a schedule and stick to it. Our meals need to be more nutritious. I need to become more varied with them. I used to love to sit down with my cookbooks and plan out new meals; lately there hasn't been time for this and we get stuck in the same boring, easy meal patterns. I will get Kyle to like vegetables this year!
  • Get Erin to actually sleep all night and Kyle to listen to what we ask him to do!!!

So those are my thoughts on what I'd like for 2009. How about you?

4 comments:

Crystal said...

Great Resolutions! Good Luck!
Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld might help you with those veggies! Kinnison LOVES veggies...but I struggle to get her to eat meat.

Jessica said...

Reading your blog and hearing about Erin not sleeping well at night reminds me of what we went through with Jordan. When she was 6 months old she was still up every few hours in the night and would stay up a lot of the time. Out of desperation I took her to the Dr. and asked "What's wrong with her!!" He put us on that plan where we let her cry for so long and then pat her on the back every 15 minutes but not pick her up. After about 4 mights of 2 hours of straight screaming it worked!! She immediately slept from 10 to 12 hours every night after that. It wasn't easy but I couldn't believe how well it worked.

Great resolutions... my resolutions are revolving around healthier eating too.

Happy New Year!

No, I didn't get a Flip but it looks just like one, just a different name brand. I'm frustrated with it because I can record with it but I'm having trouble transferring it to the computer. It acts like it's transferring and it shows up on my computer but when I try to play it it only shows up black. I need to mess with it some more.

the mom~ said...

Sounds like you've got yourself one heck of a plan for 09! :)
Happy New year!

Mamma Mia said...

Sounds like you have some great resolutions.
I have to say for me, I would have to say I want to be healthier for sure. Lose some weight. Do more activities with Connor. Learn to ski. And love the people around me for what they are.