Tuesday, September 6, 2011

School: Bring it on!

It's funny how your mind changes as time marches along. By late May this year I was ready for Kyle's school year to be done. I was ready to drop the structured routine of our days and enjoy the spontaneity of summer. I was ready for lazy days at home, beach days, and day trips to places like the zoo. Bring on the summer!

Now it is the day after Labor Day... time to say goodbye to summer and look to the school year. By a couple weeks ago I was craving the very thing I wanted rid of in May. I needed some structure back in our lives. I needed routine to our days again. While I love summer, I was excited to put a sweatshirt on this weekend.

Last night we hit the routine of school nights hard. We ate dinner earlier than we did in our summer schedule. Water was running in the tub by 6:45, and kids were trudging up the stairs at 7:30. Teeth were brushed, stories were read, and kids were tucked and kissed. And they went to sleep. Ahhh.

This morning as we sat at the table eating breakfast I asked Kyle what he was most excited about and he said learning new things every day. (Just what I wanted to hear!!) I asked Erin and she said the playground. This worried me, only because after the open house we played on the big kid playground -- not the preschool one. I said, "Erin, you know that you will play on the preschool playground, not the big kid one we played on the other day, right?" She said, "I know. Next to room. It has a playhouse!!" Good, she got it. :)
The kids were ready early and wanted to get going, I actually had to drag out pictures and buckling in the car so we weren't too early. We dropped Erin off at preschool first. Erin has sign in things to do, and we put her backpack in her cubbie and checked out the bathroom. Kyle helped her out since he went there, too. She did great! Was ready to go with no issues at all.
With Miss Ehrenberg
With Mrs. Mitchell
Next was Kyle to Maple Grove. We went in, got his backpack in his locker, and settled him in at his desk. He was raring to go! It was exciting to see old friends, and he was looking forward to meeting the new ones.
With Mrs. Miller, his teacher
Both kids reported having great days. I am so thankful to have kids that seem to love school and want to learn. Kyle said his favorite thing from today was learning, and Erin's favorite thing was singing. My favorite thing is that they had happy days, which makes my heart happy.

1 comment:

nana said...

Love the blog today...kinda like being there...since we are far away...give them a hug from us!!