Thursday, December 31, 2009

Thinking with my heart

I've been laying awake for quite some time now, thinking about the day ahead. In a few hours I will go to a funeral celebrating the life of Marguerite Smith. Mrs. Smith and her husband, Frank, became instant friends with my parents when we moved to St. Joseph thirty years ago. They have been woven into my life since then. Mrs. Smith was a woman with charm, grace and cheer. I can hear her laughing and see her smiling, telling us stories. She and Mr. Smith had a love that was so clearly evident. Memories that stand out include Mrs. Smith standing in for a moment so she could personally hand me my high school diploma on stage (she was a member of the school board.) Also my trip to Florida with my friend Stacy when we stayed with the Smiths. They gave each of my children beautiful rocking chairs when they were born.

I am also thinking about my dad with my heart this morning. He will be a pall bearer this morning. I was thinking about how many times my dad has had this honor. How many people he has laid to rest. I've been thinking about what this says about my dad, and what a true friend he has been to so many. My parents have both spent a great deal of time with the Smiths, helping out as Mrs. Smith's health declined. I'm proud of them both, and the kind of people they are.

1 comment:

Jill said...

Very thoughtful, Laura. Sending prayers your way.