Friday, March 19, 2010

Will they or won't they?

This is my perennial bed that I created last year (well, I planted it, Mike did the wall!) It actually has quite a few plants in it, just nothing poking through yet. We will see if that changes soon. Last year, later in the fall, I purchased bulbs at Menards when they were half off. I just knew I would be able to get them in the ground still. But, as it often does, life got in the way of my plans and the bulbs sat in the garage all winter.

My friend Colleen posted on Facebook yesterday that her tulips were coming up -- and she'd just planted then last week! I was inspired!!!! So today 24 crocus bulbs and 42 tulip bulbs went into the ground. While I am hopeful that they may come up and actually bloom, I am not holding my breath for this year. If they do, what a happy sight that will be!

In my front porch bed my crocuses are starting to fade, but my daffodils are nearly blooming. I love bulb flowers!! I had asked the florist about using them for my wedding bouquet, but they fade so quickly out of water they do not hold up well in bouquets. Of course, the orange Gerber daisies were perfect.

On another note, Erin slept peacefully last night for the first time all week! I was so happy for her -- and us. Today has been a little rough for her, though, so we are still on the recovery road. Hoping for a better day for her tomorrow!

And on a final note, I'd like to thank a little pig named Olivia for enabling me to get this post done in the afternoon! ;-)

2 comments:

nana said...

Well, they might be late bloomers if they come up...usually the bulbs need several wks of cold or freezing weather, so I'm not sure your garage was cold enough...if that happens again, your freezer is the best place for them. But you never know, stranger things have happened!!

Beth said...

Now I'm going to checking them out every time I drive by... :)