Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Old... older... even older...

Family is so important, and memories -- especially ones from days long ago -- are so cherished. But along with the memories, and the pictures, it's so cool when you can hand down items that have been in your family for generations. That have history too them. A piece of your past, and eventually a piece of your future.

In the old category, today Kyle got to break into a tub of Legos that belonged to Andrew, Beth and I growing up. I was a little sad to break apart the creations that were still stuck together; they were my creations from so many years ago. But, apart they are. And now they are becoming the creations of Kyle. He had so much fun playing with them today and hated to put them away. He has a Lego car in bed with him right now. He already talked about what he is going to build tomorrow. In the older category is this bassinet. It was bought for my dad to sleep in as a newborn. My dad was born in 1934, so the bassinet has been around quite awhile. My dad slept in it, my aunts, my siblings and I, my cousins, and my cousins' children. When I was expecting Kyle I gave it a new paint job and bought new bedding. It was set up for both Kyle and Erin. My nephew Jack used it, and now 10-day-old Brett is sleeping in it. Two of my cousin Kathy's sons got married this summer, so in the coming years I would expect that a whole new generation will begin using the bassinet.And in the even older category is an apron that my Aunt Joan brought this summer. It belonged to my great-grandmother, Margaret Smyth. She was my dad's grandmother. I would need to check, but I think she was born in the 1880s. She was born in Ireland, and moved here with my grandmother in the early 1900s.

3 comments:

Colleen said...

Such a cool post Laura! Ahh...the memories of Lego's. Megan plays with Mega blocks but really just likes to see how high she can go before the tower falls down...something she used to do with Glenn even though she doesn't remember it. The bassinet is awesome, as is the apron. I hope to hear in many years that Kyle and Erin's children are using the bassinet!

nana said...

How neat....I still have an erector set that belonged to Kyle's papa and am getting ready to move soon....soooo what else would you like???

the mom~ said...

Ok, the lego part made me cry :( how totally awsesome!
Love the bassinet and apron too. Ethan slept in the bassinet that Steven slept in as a baby made by Steven's grandfather...love generational hand me downs!